Perlite for gardening
Perlite is used in soil mixes (including soilless potting mediums) to improve aeration and modify the soil substructure, keeping it loose, and well-draining.
A premium mix of one part perlite, 1 part peat moss or cocopeat, and one part vermiculite is optimum for container growing, enabling the pot to hold just enough water and oxygen.
For seedling mix
one part perlite, 3 part cocopeat, and one part vermiculite are optimum for seed germination.
Benefits of perlite:
- Increases the aeration and water holding capacity of the soil and improves water drainage.
- Light-weight and easy to blend into cocopeat and vermiculite.
- Excellent growth medium for hydroponics and soilless media.
How to use perlite:
- Mix perlite with Vermicompost, cocopeat, vermiculite, and garden soil.
- For soilless hydroponic medium use perlite, exfoliated vermiculite, and coco peat in a 1:1:3 ratio.